Sunday, January 31, 2010

Work, Work & More Work!

Mark had a productive week at our house this past week. Mark and his friend Don, the electrician, met at the house a couple nights after work and spent all day Saturday installing our new electrical service. The house was a 100amp service and they changed it to a 200amp service. They installed a new electical panel, re-wired most of the house and seperated a few of the rooms. If we had called an electrician out to do this job, it probably would've cost us easily, $3,000.....but it sure is nice to have friends!! Don only charged us $250 for all the work he did! Thanks Don!
The Upstairs Bathroom Before it was gutted!

The Gutted Upstairs Bathroom
(I am still scrubbing glue off the walls in here!)
If you read my previous post, you know we called a builder out to replace the beam that was sagging. The builder told Mark it was actually sagging a full inch in the middle! (Not good for a main support beam holding 2 stories of house!) Thank goodness we tore down the ceiling and discovered this when we did. Now we have a new solid beam and can move on with the renovations! Yay!
"The Sagging Beam" Before
The New Solid Beam After!

(You can also see a couple of the recessed lights Mark installed!)
Another weekend goes by and I didn't get much done in my glue cleaning! By the time I got to work on Saturday, I had to leave to go show our vacants at the apt. complex. Then my wonderful Mother in Law...aka, wonderful babysitter, had to leave to go visit Grandpa, so I came home to take care of Miss Hayden. I took her to Menards to look at paint colors, flooring, appliances, tile and lots of other goodies. She was having fun saying "Hi" to every person that walked by us. What a social butterfly!


Sunday was spent cleaning one of our vacant apts. One of the people that came on Saturday wants to move in asap, so I was trying to get it ready. Well, dummy me, had to go and spray way tooooo much bleach product and ended up getting sick. (I was trying to clean the shower so I was in a confined space). I seriously thought I was going to gag to death. I couldn't breathe too good so I had to take a break for a while. Heck, I still don't feel great. And, I didn't get the apt finished today! UGH!!! So I will have to go back on Monday to finish it! Can't wait to say good bye to this place.

Sunday was my Mother in Law's Birthday, so we took her out to Chili's to celebrate! Now, this is one of my favorite places to eat as they very rarely screw up my order and the food is usually quite yummy. Of course we all know what a picky little eater we have, so I ordered Hayden a cheese pizza and the waiter tells me they ran out! (Seriously, how do you run out of cheese pizza?) So that leaves chicken nuggets or grilled cheese. I knew she probably wouldn't eat either, but I ordered her the chicken nuggets. He brings her food out and says, they ran out of the nuggets, so they made the longer strips. (So they don't ask you first if this is ok?) And NO, she didn't eat them, but she filled herself full of french fries! Finally he brings out our food. I know this is a big surprise, but I ordered my usual cheeseburger with just mayo. Well, guess what? It came with mayo, mustard and ONIONS???? C'mon, that is 3 strikes in 1 night! At least the chips and queso were delicious! ;)

To top off Sunday evening, Mark gets a call from one of our Residents at 9:30pm, saying her unit is flooded. Her unit just happens to be next to a foreclosed unit in which the pipes froze! (This was NOT one of our rentals......and the people who were supposed to be checking it, were NOT.) There was over 2 inches of water in the vacant unit and the furnace was not working. So Mark had to call our Carpet guys to come extract water at 10pm, AND, since all of his tools are at our house, he had to go to our house to get his tools to FIX the furnace in a unit that doesn't belong to us! Poor guy can't get a break! It is currently 11:30pm, 16 degrees outside, and he is still out working in this crap. At least he will actually get paid to do this work.....we WILL be billing the Condo Association for his time tonight! I just hope he doesn't have to work too late since he has to get up at 5:30am!! SERIOUSLY, can't wait to be done with this stinkin job!!!
UPDATE: Mark was home by 11:40PM......UGH!

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I feel your pain regarding too much cleaning product and feeling sick. (Confined shower stall and CLR is not a good combination!). The next time you're doing something like that, give me a buzz and I'll lend you my respirator. (Don't laugh, it looks ridiculous but you can breathe while cleaning.)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete